Monday, December 7, 2009

Summer Evenings and Secrets

Monday, December 7, 2009


M

y neighbor Mrs. Flauding would sit on her front porch every evening to water her lawn and watch the neighbors as they passed her house on their evening walks or as they worked in their yards. She had two wicker chairs and often invited my sister and I to drink iced tea, and while we did so we also told her our secrets.

Because of those memories I wanted a comfortable chair to sip iced tea and talk with my son on my own porch. Since Brody likes to swing, I decided we would find a comfortable swing on which to enjoy our summer evenings. The first one was not very big and in hot summer evenings it was uncomfortable.


One day my neighbors had a garage sale and I spied a large bench in their yard. After unsuccessfully haggling over the asking price, I snatched it up at the full price (because I would never forgive myself if I lost it). It took me a few years, but I finally found someone who could turn it into my dream porch swing. Isn't it great looking? He did a fabulous job too and we love sitting on it. For those do-it-yourselfers, to make a swing out of a bench you will first cut off the legs, reinforce the seating area for stability and place your eye screws or holes for chain or rope placement. Paint it and hang it. Next spring I will make a cushion for the seat to make it really comfortable for us, I also bought two Pottery Barn pillow shams on clearance to  add. I can't wait till next year:) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Junking. Design by Pocket